[dba-Tech] Microsoft targets Adobe with PDF rival

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:32:12 CST 2005

On 10/31/05, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> Also have the problem of two "standards" out there. One controlled by Adobe
> and one by MS. Which would you trust more with a "standard"? I'm not sure.
> Adobe has had some issues with the post script standard, but then again, MS
> and open standards?...

Exactly what I'm thinking. Microsoft has a bad line with standards.
>From port to port in Visual Studio I have to spend a good chunk of
time trying to diagnose why a new bug cropped up when we switch to a
newer version. Access VB programming was also another fun thing when
we upgraded.

I don't see the open source crowd catching and helping build a
Microsoft format, for both anti-Microsoft resentment, and because of
the lack of backward-compatibility issues it's sure to arise.

If I had to guess, Microsoft will try to make it a key point of the
next Office suite and perhaps Vista, so much so that it'll be a big
pain to work around if you don't want to use their format.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein