[dba-Tech] Emerald Bay and Access

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Sat Sep 3 09:14:20 CDT 2005

"RBase by Microrim. In the mid-80's Microsoft negotiated to merge with
Microrim for 25% of Microsoft stock. The deal fell through because Microrim
held out for 30%. As a further irony, the basic design of Access was created
by a group of ex-Microrim programmers."

About that time I had a support contract without MicroRim. I kept getting a
new guy on the other end of the phone every time I called, which in those
days was unusual. One day I got someone that was quite high in the company
for support. I thought it was very weird. I asked him about all the changes
and he bitterly said something to the effect that "Microsoft is stealing all
of our employees". The next time I called they were gone, closed, kaput.
Shortly after one of the larger customers bought the rights for Rbase and
moved everything to Pittsburg. Sad story. Basically corporate espionage. I
can see the influence they had on Access though.