[dba-Tech] Windows Small Business Server

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 2 08:12:20 CDT 2006

John,

When installing windows, you have to install the driver disk for the various
IO devices for the board.  The motherboard has LAN, USB hubs and so forth
that require drivers.  Windows often has "basic" drivers that will work but
not optimally, but in some instances not.  For example I could get no LAN
until I installed the drivers for the built-in LAN on my motherboard.  When
trying to run the install program on that disk, the install program refused
to run for SBS saying that it only functioned for Windows XP.  My assumption
is that the drivers were only tested under XP, and thus they were refusing
to allow them to be installed under anything else.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting