[dba-Tech] "Daisy-Chaining" D-Link Routers

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Dec 19 15:30:14 CST 2006

The first thing you should know is that normally you hook the WAN input of a
router up to a normal channel of the object "ahead" of you in the LAN.  IOW,
if there is a cable modem then a router, the router's WAN goes to the output
of the cable modem.  If you hook up the WAN from a router to a normal
channel of another router, then you "isolate" the router second in line.  It
can see out, but the lead router can't see down in to the second in line
router.  Thus you would want to hook a normal channel of the second router
to a normal channel of the first router, NOT the WAN of the second router to
a normal channel of the first router, UNLESS you intentionally want to have
an isolated network.

Take all this with a grain of salt however as I am in no way a notwork guy.

I went out and bought an 8 channel gigabit switch.  I hook the wireless up
to the cable modem (head of the chain), then the gb switch up to the
wireless router (tail of the chain). All of my hardwired machines I hook to
the gb switch.  In this day and age a lot of machines have gb NICs so if
everyone talks amongst themselves over the gb switch they can do so at a
much higher speed.  Going out to the web, they all share a connection from
the switch to the router (typically 100mb) and from there throttled
waaaaaaay down to the typical 5 mbit (or in my case 3mb) out to the
internet.  Likewise since the wireless is typically 56 mbit, it does no harm
being inside of the head 100mb router as it can't handle the gb speeds
anyway.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting