[dba-Tech] Windows Defender

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 06:18:34 CST 2006

ooh, ooh, Microsoft have released Windows Defender Beta 2!

As a test, I've just run it on a pc here, along with Spybot 1.4, Ad-Aware
personal 1.6 and Panda Active Scan.

Panda picked up 21 objects that it considered spyware.
Spybot picked up 14.
Ad-Aware picked up 11.
Defender picked up 2.

According to the scan logs, Panda's spyware objects were all cookies, the
same as Ad-Aware's were. Spybot had some cookies, and the fact that there is
no antivirus software installed on the pc in question (yes, I know, but it's
not on our network, and the people who supplied it stated emphatically that
it didn't need AV, and so far they're right, which is rather galling).
Defender discovered Tight VNC and RAdmin, both remote control software that
was installed by me.

It does have some useful looking tools, such as the ability to explore the
startup programs, and is a bit better organised that the old version of
MSAS, or Giant. They recommend that you uninstall Giant now (where they
didn't before) and upgrade to this new product.

Apologies for the cross post, but I think people on both lists will find
this useful.

Jon

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available on request from : webmaster at alcontrol.co.uk
ALcontrol Laboratories is a trading division of ALcontrol UK Limited.
Registered Office: Templeborough House, Mill Close, Rotherham, S60 1BZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 4057291