[dba-Tech] Sound and video

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:01:36 CST 2006

Jon and Bryan,

Turns out to have been the driver.  I swapped the IDE cables and
re-started my system with my "old" C: drive and found that the audio
controller driver is the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo driver, while the
driver on my "new" C: drive is the Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R)
Audio Controller.  Looks like the Turtle Beach card was being bypassed
by the on-board sound chip?

Anyway, I found the Vinyl driver on-line somewhere and downloaded it
and voilà!  She works again!

Now for the video...that's not nearly as critical, but I'm going to
follow up Bryan's suggestions.

Thanks both of you for giving me some suggestions.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI
http://TheTownCrank.blogspot.com

On 2/20/06, Jon Tydda <jon at tydda.plus.com> wrote:
> I don't know for sure about ATI, but Nvidia use the same software to install
> ALL their cards, except the very latest ones. Maybe it's a similar deal?
>

> Jon

Looking at the Radeon 9550 info page
(http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9550/), down near the bottom it
says:
"Driven with the industry leading stability and reliability of ATI's
Catalyst(r) certified driver suite"

So I wouls assume that if you download Catalyst
(https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=640) you
will get the drivers.

> Sound is another issue.  I've got a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card...but
> the Windows System applet says that I've got no audio adapter.  I've
> installed the Turtle Beach software but I am baffled as to how to
> enable it.

Did you change slots for the Sound card? Are there any IRQ Conflicts?

Try looking at some of the troubleshooting FAQs from Turtle Beach
(http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585.asp)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com