[dba-Tech] Sharepoint - What does it cost?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 23 12:18:54 CST 2006

Another way to go depending on security concerns is to use a hosted or
dedicated WSS server.
I used this for a trial demo last summer. There should be other hosting
sites out there.

Hosted for 100 users is about $60 a month +extras like named url and ssl
It is a Norwegian-US firm Apptix, servers based in Virginia. IBM and
Bell Canada use it.
They have a free 30 day trial., if you want to put up a demo.

http://www.sharepointsite.com

Here is a quick Windows Media File to show easy linking of WSS lists and
Access tables
and running a query on them from Access 2003 to produce a mail list.

http://www.wssdemo.com/Demo Documents/Access.wmv

You can also run SOAP and WebDAV against WSS for external users.
or even get XML rowsets knowing the GUID of the WSS list via a url that
looks like this
http://server/site/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?Cmd=Display&List={E1D9FED5-2531-413F-8C0F-CAA5C6280E51}&XMLDATA=TRUE

The following Access 2003 VBA example exports the contents of the
Inventory table to a new list named HouseHold List
 on the Windows SharePoint Services site.

DoCmd.TransferDatabase transfertype:=acExport, databasetype:="WSS", _

databasename:="http://mconnelly.sharepointsite.com", _
                       objecttype:=acTable, Source:="Inventory", _
                       Destination:="Household", structureonly:=False

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.