[dba-Tech] Scaners

Bob Geldart bgeldart at verizon.net
Tue Jan 17 13:34:45 CST 2006

Brian,

I've had an Epson Perfection 2450 for a couple of years and been pretty
satisfied with it. It uses plastic masks for 2x2 slides and 35mm strips,
plus 2¼x3¼ and 3½x4½ negatives or transparencies. There is a light source
in the cover for working with negatives/transparencies. I think it cost me
about $200 a couple or more years ago, has probably been superseded by
newer model. Works well also for documents and photos. This flatbbed
scanner is a good compromise between cost and utility. I have some older
format (1940s-70s) larger format negatives I was interested in scanning.

Only minor gripe was that, scanner software looks for images when doing
negs in the masks. Occasionally, a negative would not be a easily
recognizable image, and the software would often provide an image cropped
at one side or another. I was usually able to manipulate the mask or
negative to obtain a better image.

The next step up for slides & negatives for me would probably be a
dedicated slide/negative scanner at $500 and up, but they only do 35mm. I
may do that, as I have thousands of slides and negatives taken over the
last 49 years.

Bottom line, if my current scanner broke today, I would get a new Epson.
Only question would be which model.

Bob