[dba-Tech] LinkSys Router and FTP Server

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 15:33:46 CST 2006

On 22/01/06, Arthur Fuller <artful at rogers.com> wrote:
> Does anyone on this list run an FTP server through a LinkSys router? I would
> like to set up an FTP server on one of my boxes, all of which are connected
> to the LinkSys router. In addition, due to space limitations, I would want
> the FTP server to address drives/directories on several boxes (one has all
> my music, another has all my database stuff, etc.). Anyone who could help me
> through this process is invited to respond privately (don't want to consume
> bandwidth just for a private issue).

Actually Arthur, this is perfect fodder for the list.

Now, I don't have any answers, just more questions, since I've never
done this before.

Did you open up the port in the router? Or setup any forwarding?

I had to setup port forwarding for my Bittorrent client before it would work.

Is your FTP server a Linux box or a windows box?

If it a Linux box, you can set it up so that it automounts the other
boxes, or directories of the other boxes. Once they are mounted you
can create symlinks in the FTP directory to point to those mount
points. If you do that, you will need to tell the FTP Server to follow
the symlinks.

If your FTP server is a windows box, then I can't be of much help.

Keep in mind that Rogers may block port 21 so that you can't setup an
FTP server on their network.

If all you are trying to do is access your directories from the net,
have a look at Hamachi (http://hamachi.cc/ - written by a guy from
Vancouver). It's a cool little tool. Basically what it does is give
you box a fixed ip in the 5.xxx.xxx.xxx range (an unused public ip
range) and allow you to connect to the box via tunneling. You will
need to install Hamachi on the box you are trying to connect from as
well. You can then browse the shares on the box or even connect to it
via VNC. It works even through your router without having to open up
any ports. It is even supposed to go through most corporate firewalls,
although it doesn't go through mine at work :(

That may be a possible solution too.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"