[dba-Tech] Almost dead hard disk

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Tue Jan 24 15:51:24 CST 2006

This second small partion (probably 8 or 10 MB  or so) is either the
system tools partition of your computer or the 8MB space Windows keeps
free when formatting in NTFS. So I wouldn't bother about that.

I would advice you to try to put this disk as a primary on your second
IDE controller in that other system and try to boot normaly on that
system. Then scan the faulty disk for virusses from your working system.
Also perform a checkdisk (mark fix en scan surface)

You could also try to see if its a MBR problem.
Format a floppy disk on a XP computer, copy the boot.ini, ntldr and
ntdetect.com to the floppy and alter the boot.ini file if necesary to
point to the disknumber and windows folder of the corrupt disk.
Try booting from the floppy on the corrupt system.
This way you can test if it is a MBR or track 0 problem.

There is a command called fixmbr to fix MBR but I'm not if you can do
this from a working system where the disk added. You can from the
windows XP command prompt (recovery console?).
You need to boot from the XP CD for this

Erwin