[dba-Tech] Need Java Updates?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 30 19:26:39 CDT 2006

I had a look on my machine and had 7 updates. 700 Meg
They renamed the runtime environment to 5.0 instead of calling it
v1.5. at some point.  It is now up to 5.0 update 7.

explanation of name change
http://java.sun.com/j2se/j2se-namechange.html

Download latest from this month
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Sun gives a conflicting version of deleting old versions
saying some software may only run against an older version
and actually link to that specific version. One program
mentioned was a stock broking program like Ameritrade.
So you shouldn't delete the older versions.

But the newer versions have security upgrades in them!

I would remove the older ones as a security risk.
As some website could check your machine for
an older vulnerable version.

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/5000070400.xml

--
Marty Connelly