[dba-Tech] Ghosting an old HD to a New HD

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Mar 5 00:31:14 CST 2006

On 4 Mar 2006 at 22:33, Arthur Fuller wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed explanation and recipe!
> Your last comment struck me particularly, since I was told precisely the
> opposite by somebody. Not to say you or he is right, but what he said was,
> "The best way to lay it out is both HDs as masters, and your CD-burner and
> DVD-burner as slaves. That way, you can enter the BIOS at bootup and choose
> which master to boot." I know so little about this stuff that I am not even
> sure your position differs from his.

It gets quite complicate, but one key factor is
"There are several reasons why optical drives (or other ATAPI devices)
should not be shared on the same channel as a fast hard disk. ATAPI allows
the use of the same physical channels as IDE/ATA, but it is not the same
protocol; ATAPI uses a much more complicated command structure. Opticals
are also generally much slower devices than hard disks, so they can slow a
hard disk down when sharing a channel."

See

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Performance.htm
for all the gory details and
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confRecommendations.ht
ml for recommended configurations in different situations.

--
Stuart