[dba-Tech] Spam, spam, spam, spam ....

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 6 20:40:23 CST 2006

On 7 Mar 2006 at 7:51, Stuart McLachlan wrote:

> You don't want "spam blocking" software. You want software which
> classifies and tags email so that you can apply simple rules in your
> email client to separate, filter  and possibly delete spam.  There's a
> subtle difference.

I'll second this. this givves you the opportunity to "train" the
software as to what is and isn't spam and you can verify that the
spam is truely spam and not misclassified ham (good e-mail)

> There are a couple of excellent freeware "bayesian filter" programs to
> do this.
>
> Best one is POPFile.  http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
>
> Another good one which is simple to set up is K9.
> http://keir.net/k9.html

I will second both of these recommendations. I have used both and
they are both are excelent.

I used to use K9 primarily, but since my ISP does filtering that I
CAN'T turn off ($#&*#$ idiots) I get less than 10 per week in my
inbox. So I don't bother anymore.

The best part about these types of apps are that they sit between
your e-mail client and you ISPs mail servers, so they "integrate"
with any e-mail client and your mate can change to a good e-mail
client (like Pegasus Mail :-) without losing any of the spam
training.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
warning  to others.