[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] Norton Antivirus Activation

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Mar 16 09:48:56 CST 2006

Good thoughts Perry.

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Perry L Harold
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:34 AM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] [dba-OT] Norton Antivirus Activation

FWIW

A generalization on "bad" software or hardware.

"Everyone" knows that Adobe Reader "Works" for all pdf files so that it's
mostly universal.  We have one box though that will not run any Reader
version newer than version 5.  The box has been around for a while and had
various things installed - most of which has been uninstalled so it's fairly
clean.  But something sits on it somewhere that keeps the newer reader(s)
from working.  We have 20+ other boxes that are a similar setup and have no
problem with Reader at all.

The point being - one crash on one machine doesn't globally indicate the
quality or non-quality of the product.  Often most of us will discard
something if it doesn't work in the first instance.  However, if it works
the first 2 or 3 times and then we have a problem we will then go to the
next machine and try again.  If (and usually when) it works again then we
know that it was an aberration rather than condemning the software (or
hardware) as a whole.

And what works in my setup doesn't always work the best in your setup and
vice-versa.

The great thing about this list is that we do get to see opinions and real
world results from lots of sources to give us advice we can use in creating
our own setups.

Perry Harold