[dba-Tech] Conversion of REAL decimal numbers to Hex

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 11:42:06 CST 2006

Dear Group,

There are about a jillion decimal to hex converters on the web.  But
what I'm looking for is a converter that will handle decimal numbers
with decimals.  That is, convert 1.0625 (decimal) to 1.1
(hexadecimal).  I can write one that recursively takes the remainder
from a division by higher and higher powers of 16 and dividing the
remainder the the next higher power of sixteen, etc.  Just wondered if
any of you had seen such a utility.

For bonus points:  base 10 is decimal, base 16 is hexadecimal, base 20
is vigesimal...what are base 26 and base 36 called in this
nomenclature?  I'd guess that base 26 would be hexavigesimal, but I
have no clue what base 36 would be.  I would just find it useful to
have a name to attach to base 36 when I need a nice compact numbering
system that uses all 10 numeric digits plus all 26 letters of the
alphabet.

--
Regards,

Steve Erbach