[dba-Tech] security apps

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Sun Nov 5 00:59:27 CST 2006

Although I keep tabs on Norton/Symantec I quit recommending their use with
the 2004 versions of their products as they certainly fit your description
well with the 2005/2006 versions. The 2007 version has looked somewhat
promising but I'm not holding my breath either. I've had similar experiences
with McAfee, Panda and F-Secure products among others. The only suite I've
been happy with lately is CA's and they just changed it. I'm not too happy
with the new compilation. Good, small footprint AV, good anti-spyware, very
good anti-spam but they replaced ZA with another firewall and so far I'm not
impressed. Time will tell.

I've been using Kerio since before Sunbelt bought it out to save it. I've
had some issues with it but in general I agree with you. I have a lot of
faith that Sunbelt will get all the kinks worked out of it soon. They
haven't had it long. I am participating in their beta tester programs. I am
also checking out the free Comodo Firewall.

Sunbelt's CounterSpy version 2 is near release now and looks great.
Footprint is much smaller and will it include rootkit detection and some
other improvements.