[dba-Tech] WorkGroup problem

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Wed Nov 8 22:31:52 CST 2006

You need a copy of VNC on each box that you wish to see. VNC comes in Client and Server versions. On the Main Squeeze, install the server. On the additional squeezes, install the client only.

Where this Kaboodle thing gets way cool is when you install it on a remote server that in turn connects to local clients. You will understand the implications and the power once you get it working on your local network. Google VNC and grab it and install it on all the local boxes you want to hit. Install Kaboodle on your Main Sqeeze and then run it. You should see an icon for every attached box. A double-click then gives you control over said box.

Assuming a WAN or even a connection to a remote server (also running Kaboodle), you can then Kaboodle into said remote server and then into every box attached to it.

In my particular situation, I have four boxes on my home network. Only one has a fancy 19" flat-screen. I Kaboodle to the others from my Main Squeeze and can then run programs on all the others from here. A couple of clicks and I'm addressing another box.

This can extend to every box connected to every remote server running Kaboodle.

What you need to do is install a VNC on every box you want to hit. Then re-run Kaboodle and every box will be visible. You don't need Kaboodle on every box, but you do need a VNC there.

HTH,
Arthur