[dba-Tech] FW: AN Old Dog of a Machine

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 08:36:34 CST 2006

On 11/10/06, Beach Access Software <bchacc at san.rr.com> wrote:

> Dear List:

> I'm trying to save a machine for a friend - Dell Inspiron 8000 with 128MB of
> memory and Windows ME.  Adding memory is not an option - costs about the
> same as a new machine.

> Anyway, I'd like to wipe the hard drive but it won't let me.  When I try
> Format C:\ at the command prompt it says there's some process using the hard
> drive and won't format(I have the Windows ME restore disk).

> There's no floppy so I can't make a bootable floppy disk.

> The drive is loaded down with a bunch of crap.  I'd just like to wipe it and
> start fresh.

> How can I get this disk wiped?

Make a bootable CD and do it from the CD?

Never having even seen ME, let alone using it, I would assume that
there is an option to wipe the HD from the restore CD.

If it is a true restore CD, it should just nuke the HD and put it back
to the same state it was in when it was purchased.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"