[dba-Tech] Tight VNC Options

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Nov 26 22:30:21 CST 2006

On 26 Nov 2006 at 23:12, JWColby wrote:

> How do I set options in the viewer and keep them the next time the viewer
> opens?  I want to use compression, but the 0 level really sucks.  I set to 9
> (best quality) but when I close, the next time I open the viewer I am back
> to 0.

Try setting up shortcuts to it using using commandline options

"C:\Program Files\TightVNC\vncviewer.exe" -compresslevel 9 -quality 0

>From http://www.tightvnc.com/vncviewer.1.html:

-compresslevel level
    Use specified compression level (0..9) for "tight" and "zlib" encodings (TightVNC-specific). Level 1 uses minimum of CPU
time and achieves weak compression ratios, while level 9 offers best compression but is slow in terms of CPU time
consumption on the server side. Use high levels with very slow network connections, and low levels when working over high-
speed LANs. It's not recommended to use compression level 0, reasonable choices start from the level 1.

-quality level
    Use the specified JPEG quality level (0..9) for the "tight" encoding (TightVNC-specific). Quality level 0 denotes bad image
quality but very impressive compression ratios, while level 9 offers very good image quality at lower compression ratios. Note
that the "tight" encoder uses JPEG to encode only those screen areas that look suitable for lossy compression, so quality level
0 does not always mean unacceptable image quality.