[dba-Tech] Slow broadband

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Sep 14 15:57:08 CDT 2006

On 14 Sep 2006 at 13:39, Hale, Jim wrote:

> Recently I took advantage of Time Warner's offer to upgrade to their premier
> broadband service.This is supposed to increase speed to between 6-8 Mbps
> down and .5 up from 2-4 Mbps currently. My main machine, as measured using
> several internet sites, stayed at exactly 1.73 Mbps. Upload increased from
> .17 to .35. After complaining TW had me check my other machines (after
> rebooting all machines and resetting the modem and router). Sure enough the
> other machines increased markedly to 4.9 Mbps. The slow machine is a 6 year
> old Dell optiplex running windows 2000 prof with Norton firewall and virus
> protection. The other machines are cheap but newer HPs running Windows XP
> prof. and Norton antivirus (no firewall). The router is a standard linksys.
> I turned off the Norton firewall with no improvement. Does anyone know what
> is going on here and how to fix it? TIA Jim Hale

I'd suspect the TCP settings on the old machine.  It's probaby optimized
for dail-up and there may be anumber of factors involved including packet
fragmentation and buffer sizes.

Grab a copy of TCP Optimizer from http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

provides an intuitive interface for tuning and optimizing your Internet
connection. There is no installation required, just download and run.

The program can aid both the novice and the advanced user in tweaking
related TCP/IP parameters in the Windows Registry, making it easy to tune
your system to the type of Internet connection used..."--
Stuart