[dba-Tech] dual boot x32 and x64

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 19 03:32:22 CST 2007

Hi John:

I think you can though I have never tried that arrangement.

You can either create a new partition on an existing installed drive using
some program like partition magic or fdisk a new drive into a couple of
partitions.

You can install the second OS to the second partition on your drive. Install
the first OS and then start installing the second OS. Windows will recognize
that you have an existing installation on the drive and will prompt as to
whether you wish to over-right the current OS or install the new OS
concurrently. You can either write the second install to the C drive or
select the D drive. Assuming you have created a second partition/drive
install to drive D.

After the installations are complete, reboot and you will then be able to
select the OS from a command prompt.

To set default order of the OS boots up go to MyComputer > properties >
Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Section - Setting Button > System
Startup - default operating System and select which OS will boot by default.

If you choose to install both OSs to the same drive it should work fine as
MS will create a second Windows directory. There are some possible issues
with this method as third party applications (not MS) are not always smart
about where they store their DLLs and which registry they use.

I used this method on my main server, of loading 2 Oss on a C drive, until
all the programs had been properly migrated from Win2K and Win2003 and the
system worked without issues.

Note; programs and patches will have to be loaded twice, like MS Office as
each OS Windows directory will have to be configured individually.

HTH