[dba-Tech] Windows Home Server update

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Dec 20 11:01:33 CST 2007

That $500 cost includes buying the OS, motherboard, processor, memory,  case
/ PS and hard drives (everything).

I know that Dell builds low end components that can't be touched in a custom
build, but high end DELL systems are easily beat in a build.  I was
expecting these new boxes to be more "high end" like but they are definitely
not.  The absolute cheapest AMD proc, motherboard, only a single drive etc.
Thus there is still a reason to build if you expect to use the perfectly
valid and available Windows 2003 server for something besides twiddling its
thumbs over a home server app.  I doubt that you can upgrade the proc in the
HP and I know they only have two memory slots, both filled with 256m dimms.
The only thing you can do is drop in more hard disks, and they sure made
THAT easy!.

All in all a pretty cheap and reasonable widget (for what it does) at $600
from HP.

I had an old motherboard and AMD single core processor, in an existing case
and PS which I could have used for this.  The issue is that the WHS license
is an OEM license which means that once registered in a specific MB / proc
it cannot legally be moved to any other motherboard.  My old system was
pretty old and I did not want to build a brand new SOTA system around it so
I bought a new motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130065

Cheap and fairly powerful, this MB will accept my old dual core "3800"
processor (or a newer faster processor, even QUAD I think) and my existing
memory.  I needed a new PS to handle this board (different power connector
and more power).  So I am using my existing case, dual core proc, some old
hard drives laying around, etc.  I am buying the OS, MB and PS and a pair of
memory dimms as well.  I have two already but wanted to be able to bump it
up to 4 gigs "just because" and memory is cheap.

My actual cost to build is about $340, but if I bought EVERYTHING required
to mimic the HP it would be about $500.

BTW, this is designed to be "headless" meaning it expects to not have a
monitor, keyboard and mouse although you can if you want.  It is designed to
be a box in the closet, and it is normally maintained from another machine,
and will even accept RDT connections.  It will run other apps too so you
could have various things chunking away in the background.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting