[dba-Tech] A couple of Excel questions

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Mon Dec 24 10:30:54 CST 2007

Hi Arthur,

Responding to the third question - Copy > Edit > Paste Special >
Values.  I use this one often enough that I have put the appropriate
button on my toolbar so I don't have to go to the menu.

Responding to the second question - unless you are specifically looking
for a programmatic method, you can use CTRL + arrow key to move to the
next change in filled versus non-filled, then one more touch of the
arrow key alone puts your cursor into the blank cell.

For the first question, are you wanting to delete the whole Row 3, or
only in one table?  If the whole row, then select the row by clicking
the row selector on the left frame, then Edit > Delete - using the DEL
key just empties the row contents and leaves the blank row there.  If
you just want to delete Row 3 in one table, select the cells to be
deleted, then Edit > Delete. . . > Shift Cells Up - again, using the DEL
key just empties the contents of the cells and leaves the blank ones there.

In the past, I have worked out a macro for doing the addition of a new
row at the bottom edge of a table and then fixing the formatting.  The
trick was to record the macro, then edit the VBA code to be sure the
relative reference coding was in place.  Before I did that, I made my
table always two rows longer than I really wanted and used the
next-to-last row for all increases.

I hope some of this is helpful - if it needs to be programmatic rather
than keyboard and mouse manipulation, I'll do some further digging.

Are you having any Christmas cheer, yet?  A good day over here in chilly
northern Michigan for a hot buttered rum or something similar.

Tina