[dba-Tech] Building a network storage device

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Feb 13 13:51:00 CST 2007

Hi John

It is too easy. The NASLite sees up to 4 IDE disks. That's it. Wether one or more of these are RAID drives, doesn't matter.
It asks disk by disk if you want to use that disk. Answer Yes, and it will be formatted and shared as Disk-n.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 13-02-2007 20:10:30 >>>
YEAaaaa!  So tell us all about it.  Put a floppy in, boot the machine, go to
another system and "there it is"?

My big question now is how the installation of a raid controller will impact
this "load a floppy" thing.  The other question in my mind is performance
and the like.  If I create a raid array, it is a blank slate, there are no
volumes.  Will it appear as a "huge hard disk" to Linux?  If so then how
does it get formatted and partitions created?  AFAIK all of that has to
happen on the local computer, i.e. a windows machine is not allowed to
format a drive on a system out on the network.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting