[dba-Tech] Restore Question

Tesiny, Ed EdTesiny at oasas.state.ny.us
Thu Feb 22 09:51:25 CST 2007

I hope I can explain this so it makes sense.  I had an application built
to capture data on clients who are utilizing high cost Medicaid
services.  Case managers enter direct services (services provided by the
case manager) and referrals for services provided by other entities.
The back end of the application is Sql Server 2000.  The front end, Cold
Fusion and Java Script.  The system went live January 4.  Case managers
(CM) were entering services and were finding that some were disappearing
from the system.  So we brought the problem to the programmer.  When a
CM looked at a screen that summarized what direct services and referrals
were provided to a client, there was a delete "button" for direct
services.  If a CM entered a service say psychosocial assessment and
then decided it was a mistake and deleted it, it deleted ALL occurrences
of psychosocial assessments across all CMs, basically it deleted all
instances of psychological assessments in the entire system.  Nice
programming, eh.  He says that 476 services were deleted but he can't
tell which ones, don't ask he can't explain.  He claims he can restore
195 services, that's it.  The system is backed up every hour.  He's
taken this as far as he can and he's also the Sql Administrator.

Here's the question.  If I could get a copy of the services table that
is in production now and then get the back up services tables.  Bring
them into MS Access and do a series of queries, match the production
table against the last back up and append unmatched services from the
back up to the production table...then take the previous back up and
match again and append.  Does this make any sense?
MTIA
Ed

Edward P. Tesiny
Assistant Director for Evaluation
Bureau of Evaluation and Practice Improvement
New York State OASAS
1450 Western Ave.
Albany, New York  12203-3526
Phone:  (518) 485-7189