[dba-Tech] MS Binder

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Jan 15 08:28:52 CST 2007

Arthur,
I think Office Shortcut Bar was dropped because of the addition of the
Windows Toolbars which are much more flexible and don't require the extra
RAM that the Office Shortcut Bar did.

I tried to use Office Shortcut Bar for awhile but gave up because of the
instability it seemed to cause Windows 95/98. Although I only ever attempted
using the O97 version, the crashes it caused were enough to put me off.

I had poor experiences with O97's Binder also. Just when I'd get to the
point of adopting it things would start crashing/locking up. Like you, I had
need of document independence with pagination. Although I also needed to
include Word and Excel files in the Binder. Just never panned out for me. I
went to Acrobat and never looked back. You can add just about any type of
document to an acrobat file and have the native styles retained while
getting the pagination needed. Plus it's pretty much platform independent.

HTH
John B.