[dba-Tech] Barbaro

Susan Harkins ssharkins at setel.com
Tue Jan 30 07:54:56 CST 2007

Arthur;

	I live in central Kentucky -- heart of the bluegrass, where Barbaro
lives. As far as I know, Barbaro never raced after the Preakness. He has
been in recovery the entire time. During the healing process, one of his
legs turned -- I'm not sure if it was a second healthy leg or the injured
leg. I do know, they operated a second time and it didn't take. The horse
probably was never going to stand on his own again. They decided he didn't
have the temperament to live the rest of his life restrained.

	Barbaro is someone's "property" -- however, I can tell you that most
folks in this area take their horses seriously. They live better than you or
me. They receive better health care than you or me. Most owners here do not
put a horse down lightly. If nothing else, they are good for breeding.

	I don't know why you think this horse was mistreated after his
injury, but I can just about promise you -- if he was, it would be headliner
news here.

	FWIW, I'm not a fan of horse racing, but Arthur -- I think you've
been misinformed. Also, I'd like to gently suggest that this topic is
inappropriate for this list. Perhaps you'd like to continue it on OT? I'm
not a moderator, but I know how these threads can take on a life of their
own.

Susan H.