[dba-Tech] Repeat Recommendation

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jul 27 06:06:09 CDT 2007

Hi Arthur

If you come to a conclusion, please share (would save me a book purchase, and I wouldn't find the time for reading it anyway) - as you know, I value you opinions.

I'm struggling with dot net and don't even know where I could start with Ruby on Rails, not to say why(!)

/gustav

>>> fuller.artful at gmail.com 27-07-2007 05:14 >>>
I'm -not quite finished this book yet, but I can safely say it's the best
book about software I've read in years. It's called "Beyond Java" by Bruce
A. Tate and its ISBN is 0-596-10094-9. O'Reilly is the publisher. It's a
critique of Java, from the point of view of someone who's written a dozen or
so books on the subject, but more importantly a description of the next big
thing that will replace Java. His current candidate for that title is Ruby
on Rails.

I have no vested interest in recommending this book. I don't own a share of
O'Reilly; in fact I don't even know if it's a public company. I don't know
Bruce, although I wish I did, because it never is a bad idea to hang with
people way smarter than you. In short, no closet interest in this
recommendation, just a statement that this book has made me think, and think
hard, about where we are and where we're going.

Arthur