[dba-Tech] Petulant PC

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 08:28:02 CDT 2007

Arthur,

The way that I have used Ghost is a disk-to-disk clone; I've never
created a Ghost image file, as such, just a straight copy of
everything.  That means that the second (Ghosted) drive is directly
accessible from Explorer.  I have an 80 GB drive that's about 2/3 full
and it only takes an hour or so to clone the drive.  It's just this
flaky behavior after the clone is complete has now gone beyond the
pale.

I'm running a level 4 Spinrite scan now; started at 7:30 this morning
and should be complete by 9:00 pm tonight.

Last night the "missing or corrupt" System file message no longer
appeared, but the system reboots faster now.  The blue XP progress bar
only has a chance to do 1-1/2 little cycles and the system reboots.

I WAS able to start up ERD Commander 2002 and examine the drive.  I'm
just not sure what to do.  Should I copy the Ghosted System (.exe, I
think...the error message doesn't make it clear WHICH System file was
corrupt or missing) file from my D: Ghost drive over to C:?

I was also able to start the Windows XP install disk and I went into
the Recovery console...but, again, I'm not sure what to do.  So I fall
back on making sure that my drive integrity is as good as I can
determine with the tools I have.  Don't know what you think of Gibson,
but I like his stuff.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI