[dba-Tech] 64 bit MYSql on 64 bit linux

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jun 30 08:24:41 CDT 2007

Gustav,

>As you are using .Net, en embedded database engine could be an option:

I have my doubts about the viability of such a system given the size of the
databases involved and my current memory constraints.

Basically what I am looking for is an out from the 32 bit limitations
imposed by Windows and SQL Server (32 bit editions).  Modern machines can
address huge amounts of memory.  Modern motherboards can actually address
fairly large amounts of memory.  Today I can buy a dual processor Intel
motherboard with 12 and even 16 DIMM slots each of which will support 4
GBytes dims.  That means I really could have a 48 GBytes or even 64 GByte
machine.  Given the size of my databases and the kinds of operations I have
to perform, a machine of this nature would probably make my work much
faster.

I can see that I currently peg my virtual memory with every query and query
times routinely take 20 to 40 minutes.  I am doing queries against tables
(currently containing 65 million records) such as find all records where ...
And the where clause routinely contains 3 or 4 fields, and in some cases has
contained 20 or 30 fields.  You just can't do that in 2 GB (or even 3 GB) of
ram.  I am getting two new tables which will contain 99 million and 90
million records.  I NEED MEMORY, and I need CORES and I need wide open
fields to play in.  Any 32 bit OS / database is now a bottleneck to me.  The
machines I have now can address up to 8 GB, but I only have 4 installed
because more just sits unused.

Given the business that is starting to come my way, I could actually AFFORD
one of these monster machines IF it solves my business problems.  But
without an OS AND a database system that is 64 bit, that capability is
wasted.  If I can get a 64 bit Linux or Windows running, and if such an "in
memory" database is 64 bit enabled, then it might in fact be a wonderful
thing.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting