[dba-Tech] Old, Old Software

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Sun Mar 18 07:26:15 CDT 2007

I think that you are mostly correct. Here is the precise definition of a CMD file.

A CMD file has a 128-byte header, followed by 1-8 groups of code or data. Each group can be up to 1 megabyte in size. In later versions of the format, CMD files can also contain relocation information and Resident System Extensions.
The start of the header lists the groups present in the file, and their types. Each type can be used at most once; they are:
Code
Data
Extra
Stack
User 1
User 2
User 3
User 4
Shared Code (Code and Shared Code cannot be present in the same file).
The first 256 bytes of the data group must be zero; they will be populated by CP/M-86 with the zero page (comparable to the Program Segment Prefix in MS-DOS). If there is no data group, then the first 256 bytes of the code group will be used instead.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMD_file_%28CP/M%29"

As regards the deep-yogurt issue, maybe, maybe not. There are several CP/M emulators available for Linux, and I have successfully run one and then run dbaseII inside it.  Amusing, and it brought back fond memories. Only two data files open at once. My then partner Peter and I wrote a dbase equivalent of a stack so that we could push and pop files, because we needed about 20 open at once and had to fake it.

I guess that it all depends on which OS you want to use as your CP/M platform. Here is a link to a DOS one: http://www.cpm.z80.de/emulate.html, which I like. Here is a link to the comprehensive list: http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm.

Ah, it's a fine Sunday morning and you've twinkled my nostalgia gene. Back then programming was sheer fun. Now it's more work than play. Perhaps my mistake was thinking I was good enough at it to turn pro.

A.