[dba-Tech] using virtual machines

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri May 18 13:52:10 CDT 2007

How do you guys use Virtual PC?  I was reading Red Tape this morning (from
MSNBC.COM) and he talked about putting your browser (and by extension your
email client) on a virtual PC so that if you happen to run into an infected
web site that tries to download code onto your PC, the damage is isolated to
your virtual machine.  Seems like a neat idea.

So I though I's ask you guys how you use VPC.  If you were going to use this
idea, would you do so with a tiny virtual hard drive?  It seems like it
would be inconvenient to switch between virtual machines just to do browsing
and email but I never really seriously using it don't really know that.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting