[dba-Tech] Out of system resources Windows XP

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.eu
Mon Nov 12 05:08:06 CST 2007

Since a couple of weeks I get "Out of System Resources" errors in Windows XP.
The last time I saw this error was in Windows for Workgroups 3.11!!!

I get weird symptons like righ clicks menus that are not complete etc when this starts.
I'm getting these errors more and more but I cant find what is causing this.

My computer is also pretty slow logging in. Ineed to wait for +/-10 minutes before I can do somthing. This whole time it is very busy on my disk, causing the slowdown.

I already removed several programs (like Office 2007) , but it does not improve or only for a short time.
In the old days there was a small tool which u could use to see the system resources but I don't seem to find some like that.
Old WfW users, like myself,  know "System resources" has nothing to do with free disk or RAM space.
As I have 2GB (800MB in use) of RAM and a disk of 160GB with 56GB free, this is clearly not the issue.

I do have a very big SOFTWARE registry (73MB), but I already compressed it after scanning with various tools to find unnecesary registry entries.
I already managed to reduce it from 87MB.
I'm pretty sure it's no virus or trojan, I'm pretty well protected at several levels and do have experiance in looking for virus/trojan evidence.
There are no important errors in the even log.

So I'm pretty much in the dark over here about this. I'm not willing to reïnstall my Windows because this is to timeconsuming, it takes me more than a week to reïnstall all software and I will be replacing my laptop somewhere next year...
Also tried several registry changes but with no important difference.

I do notice a hugh amount of pagefaults for svchost.exe (more than 1.000.000) and Explorer (more than 200,000). and rising
Altough a pagefault is not an error but a sign of swapping from disk to ram I find the amount very high and for testing purposes I turned of the pagefile because I have suffuciant RAM (2GB). The page faults still occur, which I find bizare.

Anyone that can point me in the good direction or propose a tool to see what is consuming my system resources?

Thx

Erwin Craps

Zaakvoerder

Internetwinkel op www.ithelps.be/shop <http://www.ithelps.be/shop>

http://www.linkedin.com/in/erwincraps

www.ithelps.be/onsgezin

bezoek ook eens de website van mijn zus www.friedacraps.be <http://www.friedacraps.be/>

This E-mail is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal offence. Please delete if obtained in error and E-mail confirmation to the sender.

IT Helps - I.T. Help Center  ***  Box Office Belgium & Luxembourg

www.ithelps.be <http://www.ithelps.be/>   *  www.boxoffice.be <http://www.boxoffice.be/>   *  www.stadleuven.be <http://www.stadleuven.be/>

IT Helps bvba* ** Mercatorpad 3 **  3000 Leuven

IT Helps  *  Phone: +32 16 296 404  *  Fax: +32 16 296 405 E-mail: Info at ithelps.be

Box Office **  Fax: +32 16 296 406 **  Box Office E-mail: Staff at boxoffice.be <mailto:figures at boxoffice.be>