[dba-Tech] Gmail questions

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 14:00:05 CST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007 2:20 PM, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Is there any way to sort my gmail inbox by Attachments? I.e. get the list
> sorted by Attachments/No Attachments, so I can delete a bunch of old emails
> that consume space with the attachments?
> 2. Is there a way to set up Outlook so that it can grab all the existing
> gmail stuff so I have a local copy? (I love having all this off-site but
> occasionally I would prefer to have a local copy.)

I can't offer an answer to number one directly. But I'll take a stab
after answering number 2 :)

2) You can use POP (or IMAP if you want to control what you copy
locally and do it manually) to download your GMAIL to Outlook. Just
make sure that when you are setting up your settings, tell it to leave
a copy on the server. That will give you both a local copy in Lookout
and leave them on GMail's server.

Now onto number 1 :)

The only thing that I can suggest, is to use IMAP in Lookout to log
into Gmail, and then use Lookout to sort by attachment (assuming that
it can do that) and delete them that way.

The nice thing about IMAP is that it doesn't download the email until
you open it, it will only download the headers so you can see what's
there.

If you want to do #1 online, do a search for ' has:attachment' minus
the quotes. That will give you all the e-mails that have an
attachment.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=7190&topic=1579
lists all the advanced search functionallity.

HTH,

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"