[dba-Tech] Bad drive

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.eu
Mon Oct 1 05:49:39 CDT 2007

I used this application last week on my laptop and I can tell it does
not work....
At least for Windows Vista.

Driveimage XML, uses the shadow copy function from Windows to make a
filecopy (technicaly it does not image a drive). The restore process ran
without any error, but when investigating the drive not much files where
present.
I ran chkdsk on the restored drive and had 72000 floating (tranlated
from dutch) files, chkdsk corrected some entries, but every time I ran
chkdsk I got several thousends of floating files and next time several
thousends of wrong index entries. The system and software registry files
where corrupt and not usable.

For desktops I uses my old quarterdeck image center/partition magic (now
from symantec), but this does not support servers.

I also have recently bought Vcom partition commander for which I'm
pretty satisfied. Only thing I miss is that I can not create disk images
to a file (like Quarterdesk), it's only disk-to-disk.

Greetings.