[dba-Tech] network connection icon in system tray

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Oct 3 09:31:15 CDT 2007

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. To be more specific, after having spent
some time searching for an answer to this problem, let me describe it more
thoroughly:

I install/support/maintain  a lot of PCs. If they get them balled up enough
I bring them back to my office for a slumber party. I have to deal with PCs
that have dial-up connections as the "boondocks" is about 3 miles west of
here :o) When I'm working on dial-up PCs in my office they get stuff it a
LAN that utilizes a high speed internet connection. I turn on the "show icon
in notification area when connected" switch so that I know immediately if
the PC has lost gained connection at any point throughout our little party.
This is kind of handy since there may be quite a few of them at any one
party - woo-who!

Before I return the dial-up PCs I disconnect the LAN and re-establish
dial-up networking - just to be sure - not many worse, well slow and boring,
things to do than troubleshooting a dial-up connection on site. So I uncheck
the "show icon in notification area when connected" and the "Notify me when
this connection has limited or no connectivity" checkboxes under the LAN
connection but it has no effect.

The reason I would like to not have the icon there is because people get
freaked out by the little icon with the red X through it. Hiding it is not
good enough.

So:
this question is simply about removing the icon in the sys tray for wired
connections
it has nothing to do with the wireless networking - that's a whole mess on
its own depending on service pack, phase of the moon, etc ;o)

Right now my only solution, short of removing the NIC is to disable the LAN
connection in network connections. That seems a bit excessive to me.

My web searching skills have let me down on this issue. There just has to be
a hack to make that little bugger go away!

TIA
John B.