[dba-Tech] Build vs. Buy a PC

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Sat Oct 13 09:40:34 CDT 2007

I need a faster desktop PC.

Dell has what I would like for about $1140 (Optiplex).

It would have:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz, 4Mb, VT, 1333Mhz FSB
Windows XP Pro
2 Gb RAM
160 SATA HD (I only use 30 Gb now)
48X32 CDRW/DVD Combo - with Roxio Creator and Cyberlink Power DVD
256 Mb ATI Radeon 2400 XT, Dual Monitor DVI or VGA
Data/FAX Modem (I need to fax some documents)
Audio Card (I assume)
3 yr on-site warranty
No Floppy disk
No Accessories
No extra software

Could I build a similar system for a lower price or build a better system
for about the same?  I would enjoy selecting components and assembling and
I've ordered a book on how to do this, but if the answer is no then I should
just order this from Dell and get it faster.

Thanks!
Dan