[dba-Tech] Problem After New MoBo Installed

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 19:23:51 CDT 2007

I just had to replace the Motherboard in my better half's pc today
(only 10 burst capacitors on the old MoBo that took me the better part
of the day to notice <sigh>). So I managed to get a new one that will
accept the CPU, memory and all the components, but I'm having problems
that I need some suggestions to try and work out the problems.

I can now boot to Windows, almost. It lets me select booting into Safe
Mode or regular windows, but no matter what I choose, I get a BSOD. In
the BSOD message it tells me to run chkdsk /f.

I booted with the install disk and chkdsk /f wasn't an option, just /P
or /R. So I did chkdsk /R and rebooted. no joy, still BSODing.

So I built a BartPE and could run chkdsk /f. No joy still. Still BSODing.

I'm outta ideas here. Anyone have any suggestions for things to try
besides reinstalling windows? I don't particularly want to go down
that road if I don't have to.

The OS is WinXP Pro.

I'm guessing that there is a conflict between the old drivers for the
HD controller and the new controller, but that is just a WAG. I also
think that I'll need to reinstall windows too :(

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"