[dba-Tech] OT: Physics

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:50:59 CDT 2007

I'm reading a book called "The Trouble with Physics", by Lee Smolin (no
relation to our esteemed Rocky -- I already checked with him). A thumbnail
sketch is that string theory is all wrong. I won't give away much more of
the plot than that. I will confess to having been attracted to string theory
at its outset, but Lee makes some absolutely wonderful points that concern
verifiability, new vistas emergent from said conjecture, and so on. I'm only
halfway through the book but so far I think his arguments are convincing.
String theory has not opened a single doorway, while it has consumed
millions of dollars in grants. It sounded good at the time.

A.