[dba-Tech] Network madness

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Wed Sep 26 15:22:20 CDT 2007

My home peer to peer network has linksys VPN routers which maintain a
VPN connection with my little company's warehouse. At home the
computers, NAS and print servers are set to 192.168.1.x and have static
IPs. The warehouse computer and print server is set to 192.168.2.x. Now
for the frustrating part. The network works fine with VNC, the windows
2000 and Vista computers are able to use the shared folders on the local
and warehouse computers, the XP pro machines are able to use shared
folders on the local machines BUT the XP pro machines cannot access the
shared folders on thwe machines across the vpn connection. They see them
but when I click on them in explorer it says I don't have access or
network path not found. What special setting is preventing the XP
machines from finding each other?! Also, the Hawking printserver utility
used to set up the print servers cannot see the print server across the
vpn connection.

There is a "secret" (at least to me) cheat sheet file
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts" buried deep in windows land
where you can hard code IP addresses and presto, the machine suddenly
can find the devices and can access the shared folders. However, the
Hawking utility still can't find the servers on the other side. I am
curious as to why only XP pro machines have this problem and if I can
perhaps change a router setting so the machines and printserver software
can find the other machines.

Jim Hale

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or
other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer. As a recipient of this email,
you are responsible for screening its contents and the contents of any
attachments for the presence of viruses. No liability is accepted for
any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this email.