[dba-Tech] Vista

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Apr 12 22:34:29 CDT 2008

For about 5 days now I have been working with Vista Ultimate, obtained
from the Microsoft 2008 product rollout event the other day.  The
experience has been a mixed bag but all in all I am pretty impressed
with it which to tell the truth I did not expect to be saying.

It is "pretty", and if you turn off all the slide outs and fade ins it
responds reasonably well.  My Dell M90 handles it "OK", with a mid level
graphics processor, a dual core cpu and 2 gigs of RAM.

The Vista Experience Index is 4.5, which is certainly not stellar but
also not too bad, and breaks down as follows:

Processor	4.9
Memory		4.5
Graphics	5.9
Gaming Graphics	5.7
Disk		5.4

I am also using the BitLocker full drive encryption and I am amazed at
the speed of that.  I was expecting a fairly hefty speed hit on the hard
drive but it certainly appears not to be so.

I can also say that the addition of 2 gigs of a thumb drive for
ReadyBoost made a definite difference, things just feel snappier.  So
much so that I am going to buy a dedicated 2 gig SD flash card to stick
in the flash card reader and just leave there.

So all things considered I give a cautious thumbs up to Vista on this
machine.  Vista can be a pain to work with, probably mostly just the
learning curve thing but all in all, I like it.