[dba-Tech] Vista Security - readonly folders

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Apr 14 07:44:52 CDT 2008

Hmmm... Things aren't as I thought.  In this case I was actually trying
to get at something in the wrong location and that was read-only.

However... (the reason I jumped to that conclusion) the other night I
had a zip file of stuff I wanted to unzip into a read-only directory.
Try as I might I could not unzip it, I got a bunch of errors saying the
destination was read-only.  I ended up moving the zip file to my own
documents directory, unzipping it there and then copying the unzipped
contents back to that read-only directory.  And in that case I was
unable to set the read-only attribute for the folder to not be read-only.

There is something that I do not understand here.