[dba-Tech] modem/router

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.eu
Tue Apr 15 01:29:58 CDT 2008

Depending on your cable modem type there may or may not be a DHCP server
and/or some firewall in it.
It is best to connect the Wireless router uplink (often called WAN or
internet port) to the modem port.
This way all your computers are protected by the Wireless routers
protection/firewall and possibly also by the modem if any security in
it. Most of cable modems, at my knowledge, don't have a router function
and no security so all ports are plain open.

You're wireless routers need to be a broadband router with a Ethernet
uplink (RJ45). There are a lot of routers with a build in ADSL modem.
You can not use these because they have a telephone line uplink (RJ11).

Erwin