[dba-Tech] modem/router

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 15 09:20:18 CDT 2008

If you are talking about your tv reception then no.  I am discussing the
"wired" network that Rocky uses which transmits the signal over the AC
wiring in the house.

TV reception problems are caused by issues in the coax used to route the
tv (cable) signal to the TVs and routers.  Coax is a round black cable.
  It typically comes through the wall into the basement or attic.  From
there it usually immediately is screwed into a "splitter" which is a
little silver or gold box with 3 to 6 or more screw on (threaded)
connectors.  These splitters do exactly that, split the signal out and
sent it off to the various rooms of the house for the TVs.

Older houses may have splitters that are simply old and inefficient or
corroded.  Or you may have a splitter feeding another splitter feeding
another splitter etc.  Each splitter will cause the signal level to
drop, thus you are usually better off with a single splitter if you can
get away with it.

In my house I have a three way splitter - one input and three outputs.

One output goes to my phone modem (phone over the cable) right there in
the basement.

One output goes to my internet modem ( a single cable snaked upstairs to
my office)

One output goes to an amplifier (TV) right there in the basement which
amplifies the signal TV cable signal.  The amplifier then goes into a 5
way splitter which sends 5 TV signal cables off to various rooms in the
house.

NOTICE that the first splitter is where the cable modem and the phone
modem pick off their signal.

All of this is down in my basement, in the overhead of the basement.
Because of this it is quite easy to visually trace the cables from input
to routers and to the amplifier and then the second splitter, it is all
visible above your head.

It is really the cable company's job to fix any signal problems though,
as long as you don't have faulty cables inside of your house.  If the TV
worked before the internet modem was installed then you probably have a
simple problem somewhere.  If you have no or almost no TV signal
anywhere in the house then you probably just have a loose or
disconnected cable supplying the tv side of things.

The internet cable modem itself will not cause a problem and the router
is BEHIND the cable modem, and in fact uses a different type of cable
entirely, so that is definitely not the problem.