[dba-Tech] Always On Notebook

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Aug 26 11:12:58 CDT 2008

I agree that home users and 8/5 businesses should be turning computers off
at night or simply enabling hibernation and setting the Energy Star settings
(Screen Saver dialog for Windows) to turn off the monitor, hard drive and
then hibernate  after the appropriate amount of time for their particular
needs. I generally do 30, 30, and 60 minutes.

Note that on some computer models the hibernation feature causes some
problems. In lieu of hibernation, which just allows the computer to start
faster and reload what you were last doing, I recommend setting the power
button to "shutdown when pressed" or for laptops "shutdown when closed".
That does the same thing as clicking Start | Shutdown | Shutdown but is just
more convenient. No shortcuts keys to remember and you can do it while
walking by the computer without having to find the mouse and click and such.

John B.