[dba-Tech] hi-jacked

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 5 10:24:58 CST 2008

>What I'm wondering is this -- if I visit a site using a cookie password,
can the hijack file see the cookie?

YES!  "Hijacks" can be actual programs running on your computer and can do
anything they want including keyboard capture of passwords etc.  This is a
nasty issue and you should take care of it ASAP.

INSTALL A ROUTER.

INSTALL A ROUTER.

INSTALL A ROUTER.

I CANNOT SAY THAT ENOUGH.

Routers cause this process called Network Address Translation which
basically hides your machine from the internet.  All by itself that prevents
a lot of nasty attacks.  I have read that a computer purchased from Best Buy
(or anyone else) and installed raw (unprotected) on the internet will be
infected within 30 minutes.

INSTALL A ROUTER.

INSTALL A ROUTER.

INSTALL A ROUTER.

I CANNOT SAY THAT ENOUGH.

Routers are not rocket science.  Buy it, plug it in to the cable modem, plug
your computer into the router.  DONE (for the majority of people).

If I hear that you have cleaned up your computer and NOT installed a router
I will...

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting