[dba-Tech] Poll: System Memory amount

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.eu
Mon Feb 18 01:22:12 CST 2008

1) Triple boot: XP for work/ XP for DJ'ing / Vista for
testing/experience
2) regular user 512MB, usually 1GB, 2G is pointless for regular users.
3) 2 GB (notebooks) 1 GB in desktops. The only way I get to and over 2
GB is when I load in a mass of pictures in Coreldraw. Even in Vista.
4) Yes, but it's not always clear what to do. I hate the principle of
per-2 they introduced again with some types after it was gone for so
many years (EDO RAM?). Some systems support per one and per 2, but it
will run slower when per one.
5) Read an tried a lot. It's mostly pointless.
Only two configs matter from y experience.
a) A swap file on a separate different physical disk, you don't use for
data (or not a lot like me).
In case of a laptop with two physical disks, like mine, don't do it, it
consumes more battery power because both disk are running all the time.
b) "No swap file" for real time apps. But you most have plenty of RAM
for what you are doing.
I use "no swap file" for my "XP DJ'ing" boot. For a hobby I beatmix with
DJ software in my XP music boot. It's a common advice when u use
realtime apps with lots of disk activity. Good DJ software with a good
audio card uses has less than 10 milliseconds of buffer. Each little
"swap" at the wrong time can lead to a "crack" in the audio.

I tried a swap file on a "separate and dedicated" logical disk but on
the same physical disk as my os. This actually slows down your computer.
The disk head needs to move to much back and forward.

Setting a swap file on other logical disk than your os is rather a
commonly used solution when having not enough space.
You better not do that unless it's a separate physical disk.

Erwin