[dba-Tech] ASP using

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 22 22:55:56 CST 2008

Hi All:

I have been having a problem running the following script off my web server:

44: Dim fso
45:
46: Set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

It system bales on the above line with the following response:

Server object error 'ASP 0177: 800401f3'
Server.CreateObject Failed
/upload/uploader.asp, line 46
800401f3

Considering that the latest version of scripting.filesystemobjects, for the
Server2003 have been installed and the system rebooted. It appears that all
the server objects have been registered properly; I.e: regsvr32 SCRRUN.DLL

..then when using FileMon (system Internal) the following error was isolated
when the code at line 46 was encountered:
w3wp.exe:4180	C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\comm\upload\test.asp	BUFFER OVERFLOW
Process that started it all:
w3wp.exe -a \\.\pipe\iisipm139307ef-2e69-47fa-a5fa-d53bc93ed026 -t 20 -ap
"DefaultAppPool" ... as if that would provide any clarity.

There has been some info on the internet saying that setting w3wp.exe's
priority to Idle would solve the problem. This seems a little drastic and
the app would eventually crash anyway. There is a fix(???) out there that is
designed to manage this issue by toggling w3wp.exe to idle every second.

http://www.linkhelpers.net/public/HeartBeat.zip

..but is this the solution?

Has anyone else seen this type of problem and found another solution? Maybe
there is something I have overlooked... or is Scripting.FileSystemObject
just too old of code to be running on a new server?

MTIA