[dba-Tech] RAM question

DJK(John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Thu Feb 28 18:56:48 CST 2008

Two thoughts for you, Arthur (from someone older and wiser - well, lazier):

1.	RAM - I use Crucial's System Scanner -
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ - which gives you much of what you
want, maybe everything.  I like Crucial because they *guarantee* compatible
upgrades.  And their on-line live technical support seems good too.

But if you do open the box:
2.	Forget yanking the chip.  That's what I used to do.  Get a compact
digital camera with a reasonable macro facility, poke it into the PC and
blast away: obscurely placed tiny bits of information (serial numbers,
jumper settings, etc) yield up their secrets after a few attempts.  You can
probably blow up the picture enough not to need your glasses, *and* you've
got a documented record.

John