[dba-Tech] XP Pro + Linux Dual Boot

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 08:31:21 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 12:56 AM, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does your desktop dual-boot from boot.ini or from grub? I have had nothing
> but problems trying it from grub, so I'm hoping that you do it using
> boot.ini and can provide tips on how that's done. Currently the [Operating
> Systems] portion only has one entry:
> multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\windows\="Windows XP Media Center Edition
> /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I use Grub with OpenSuse Linux. I've even used LILO in previous
installs. Both have worked fine for me.

The Linux boot loaders seem to be the prefered way of doing it. The
Windows Boot loaders can cause issues with Linux apparently. I don't
know what they are, but I think it has to do with the Windows boot
loader not being able to see or boot an OS that is sitting on a HD
about a certain cylinder or sector or something like that. Windows and
then Linux is the preferred order of installation because of this
limitation.

Then Grub will see that there is a previous install and add that to
the Grub loader as well as the Linux install.

What happens is that GRUB will chain the bootloaders. Grub will load,
and if you are booting to Windows, it will run the Windows loader to
load windows. If you are going into Linux, then it will run the Linux
boot up procedure.

> I don't understand how the disk(#)partition(#) would map to the existence of
> a Linux and Linux swap partitions. I have two drives, h: and c:. I boot off
> h: and c: is the big drive (250GB).

The Disk# and Partition number have to do with the physical  layout of
the drive(s) and partitions, but in Windows I'm not sure how they are
determined.

If you go into the Computer Management Console (compmgmt.msc from the
Run box) and Look under disk management it may show you in there, but
I'm not really sure.

> My friend Pete just suggested yet another approach: boot Linux from a memory
> stick. I have 3 of those, so that in theory could work. I could create a
> Linux boot there. They are only 2GB each, but that's surely enough room for
> a Linux playpen. What do you think of that approach?

If your system can boot from a USB drive then you can install Linux to
a partition on the hard drive and just have it boot from the key,
similar to a DOS boot floppy of old.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"